Tynwald Day, 1987

For the second year in succession there was a Royal Visitor at the Tynwald Day Ceremony. In 1986 it was Prince Edward and the following year it was Princess Margaret. She flew to the Island in an Andover of the Queen's Flight on 3rd July and her visit was spread over four days. Whilst here she used a red Wessex helicopter to visit Peel Castle and Cregneash but also used it to fly over and view Douglas Bay, Port Soderick, Castletown, Port St Mary and Laxey Wheel. She also opened the Manx Technical Optics factory building in Onchan and visited the St John Ambulance Headquarters off Glencrutchery Road in Douglas. On Tynwald Day she and the Lieutenant Governor, Sir Laurence New, were met at St Johns as is customary by two Captains of the Parish who are selected by rotation. On this occasion it was (nearest the camera) Robert Edward Swain Kerruish JP, who was Captain of Lezayre 1972-92 when he was succeeded by Hubert Casement. R.E.S. Kerruish was MHK 1962-70 and MLC 1970- 85. The other Captain was (Alfred) Howard Simcocks M.B.E. who was an advocate blinded during the Second World War. He was Captain of Malew Parish from 1981 to 1990 when he was succeeded by Mrs Marion Taggart, the first ever lady Captain. Howard Simcocks was also MHK 1956-74 and MLC 1974-1982.