taking our culture forward

Finch Hill estate had been in the Finch family for two hundred years when it passed down on the distaff side to Elizabeth Buck, née Finch, on the death of her father John in 1801. Her husband William Buck had come from Liverpool some years earlier and he appeared to have been involved in brick-making before becoming established as one of the best known nurserymen in Douglas. From about 1810 the road past his house was known as the ‘New Ramsey Road’. It was only long after his death that his name was commemorated in Bucks Road. The area photographed is a site for potential development. The future of other buildings nearby, such as the Red Cross Headquarters and Fairfield Junior School (the latter of which will locate to the site of the former Noble’s Hospital on Westmoreland Road) is uncertain.