After his distinguished conduct at the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801, John Quilliam (1771-1829) was head-hunted by Nelson to serve as first lieutenant on the Victory. After he had made repairs to the steering gear, he took the tiller 'with his own hand' to take the ship into action at the Battle of Trafalgar. Appointed as a Member of the House of Keys in 1807. he was again at sea a year later, first as Commander of Admiral Stopford's flag-ship, then as Captain of a 24-gunner. After the war came to an end in 1815, he retired to the 'White House' in Kirk Michael and once again took up a seat in the House of Keys.
After his grave in Arbory Churchyard had fallen into disrepair, the Foundation helped to fund the restoration of his tomb. A service of re-dedication held in 2002 was led by the Reverend Christopher Quine and attended by representatives of the 1805 Club (which takes an interest in all things to do with the Battle of Trafalgar), The Royal Naval Dining Club, and Arbory School .