In 1892 the Liverpool Marine Biological Committee set up a base in two small buildings on Port Erin Bay; much of their work involved dredging excursions in the Irish Sea. The growing numbers of visiting naturalists and vacation classes began to ‘swamp’ these small buildings and in 1902 activities were relocated to bigger premises in the south-west corner of Port Erin Bay. In 1919 the University of Liverpool took control and ownership of the Marine Biological Station, and students studied Marine Biology there for a number of years. The last admission of students from the University of Liverpool was in Autumn 2005. The station closed in October 2006 and demolition work began in November 2006: the site has not been operational since. Some of the newer buildings from the station still remain. These buildings house lecture rooms, a laboratory and a library.