The building now known as St John’s Mill was originally constructed as a fulling mill in the late 1700s or early 1800s. During its long working history it was used for many processes in the manufacture of Manx tweed, but after the 1920s the use of the building declined until it fell into disrepair. The derelict building was restored over a period of two years and was opened as St John’s Mill in 2003. It is now used as a conference centre. In 2007 work began to restore a 200-year old waterwheel, which formed part of the mill. The wooden wheel, which measures 12-foot in diameter, drove the machinery used in the processing of wool. It was carefully dismantled and rebuilt with necessary replacement components, most of which were locally produced. Work was completed in July 2009. A carving in the fulling stocks gives the date as 1869 but it is purposed that the part of the building that housed the wheel was considerably older than this. The Department of Local Government and the Environment have registered the wheel and hammers for their historical importance.